Officers Down Following Chaotic Firefight

( – During the early hours of Monday, March 4, four Sonoma County Sheriff’s deputies were injured, one critically, during a “chaotic” police chase, the department confirmed. The incident, which involved a suspect firing shots at deputies, ended with the suspect’s death in a car crash.

Sheriff’s deputies responded to reports of a person carrying a rifle shortly after midnight near Santa Rosa, California. When they arrived, the suspect fled, leading deputies on a high-speed chase.

According to a statement from the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office, the suspect came to a halt – fired some rounds at the officers in pursuit – and then continued to flee. In response, the deputies returned fire, which eventually resulted in the crash of the suspect’s vehicle.

The statement further detailed the deputies’ injuries: one sustained a gunshot wound to the leg, two of them sustained hand injuries, and another suffered a critical head injury. The sheriff’s office confirmed that the critically injured deputy is in stable condition.

However, the department withheld the identities of the deceased suspect and the injured deputies, citing ongoing investigations.

Rob Dillion, Deputy Sheriff of Sonoma County, provided further details on the complexity of the incident, explaining that the injured officers were moving in their separate vehicles – and there are multiple crime scenes due to the suspect’s actions of stopping and firing rounds at various locations.

Sheriff Eddie Engram expressed his concern for the injured deputies in a video posted on YouTube. He said he hoped for their swift and complete recovery. He further acknowledged the chaotic nature of the incident and emphasized that efforts are underway to determine the exact sequence of events.

The Santa Rosa Police Department has taken over the investigation, while the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office has pledged to release body camera footage in accordance with California police transparency laws.

Meanwhile, a resident living near the chase recounted the alarming incident to The Press Democrat. They said they were woken up early Monday by the sounds of gunfire, followed by a brief pause and then another round of shots.

Copyright 2024,